[ESS] ESS 13.09-1 released

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at me.com
Mon Dec 9 05:15:08 CET 2013

Le 2013-12-07 à 08:14, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> a écrit :

> Dear ESS users,
>
> We have released  ESS 13.09-1
> a patch release for ESS 13.09 (which was released  Sep 27).

[...]

>   * ESS: installation with 'make install' was simplified and should
>     work out of the box on most *nix systems

[...]

As a repackager, I would have liked to know a little bit more... as it did not work out of the box on OS X and Windows. Two modifications required that I fix by build scripts:

1. introduction of the SITELISP environment variable. Please note that it is not documented (as the other variables) in the comments at the beginning of the top-level Makeconf file.

2. creation of a link to ess-site.el in $SITELISP. The problem here is that the symlink that's created is absolute, not a good thing when ESS is built on a system but used on another one. I would suggest here to tweak lisp/Makefile to rather create a relative link with something along the lines of

	cd $(SITELISP) && ln -s ess/ess-site.el ess-site.el

For my distributions, I simply deleted the link since it is not needed.

That said, my distributions are updated with ESS 13.09-1.

Vincent