[ESS] ESS 13.09-1 released

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at me.com
Thu Dec 12 15:27:49 CET 2013

Le 2013-12-11 à 12:29, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> a écrit :

> On 12/08/2013 10:15 PM, Vincent Goulet wrote:
>> 1. introduction of the SITELISP environment variable. Please note that it is not documented (as the other variables) in the comments at the beginning of the top-level Makeconf file.
>>

> I added some verbiage to Makeconf
>
>> 2. creation of a link to ess-site.el in $SITELISP. The problem here is that the symlink that's created is absolute, not a good thing when ESS is built on a system but used on another one. I would suggest here to tweak lisp/Makefile to rather create a relative link with something along the lines of
>>
>> 	cd $(SITELISP) && ln -s ess/ess-site.el ess-site.el
>>
>> For my distributions, I simply deleted the link since it is not needed.
>
> Actually, this change cannot be implemented.  You are assuming the ESS
> lisp files will be stored in a sub-directory of site-lisp.  That is the
> default for Emacs, but not the default for some of the other emacs
> variants (which are also in Makeconf now with corresponding SITELISP
> entries).  And, furthermore, the make variables SITELISP and LISPDIR
> are arbitrarily configurable to deal with any situation that presents
> itself to the user.

Yeah, I was aware of that as mentioned in my December 9th message. Not a huge issue for me as it turns out to be simpler to just delete the symlink afterwhile.

>  In this case, can't you just set uncomment the
> defaults for GNU Emacs on Mac OS X?

Hum, didn't notice those! [Note that there is no default defined for  SITELISP in commented out sections for XEmacs et al.] They're sensible defaults for someone building ESS on his/her own box with Emacs installed. Again, as explained in my previous message, I take another route that is simpler for my purposes.

Vincent