[ESS] R-Xemacs ESS printing issue

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Fri May 29 09:32:30 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Leo <sdl.web at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it is objective to say Emacs feature set is a super set of
> XEmacs and that's why I'm recommending it to new users.

I think I'd disagree with "superset", since there are some features in
XEmacs which are not (and will never) be present in Emacs.

On the other hand, there could be other unstated reasons for
recommendation for new users, and friendly documentation and help
(i.e. Vincent G) should NOT be dismissed lightly.  We need to be
inclusive, not annoying.  And new folks, without the luxury of 20+
years of Emacs experience, need support in an appropriate form.

And I agree with Rodney, we need to support users, and just figure out
how to make things work.  Some people (myself included, when it comes
to my day job) are stuck with awful local support, are forbidden from
doing any changes, and stuck with many-years old software.

Who can forget Rich being stuck with Emacs 19.28 for many years
(almost a decade old at the time) because Temple U wouldn't upgrade
Emacs on their DEC's?   Now that was a pain to support.  But we did
:-).

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we
can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Drink Coffee:  Do stupid things faster with more energy!