restore asm extension associations

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 4 09:24:01 CET 2004

Hi,

    Ed> Ed L Cashin <ecashin at uga.edu> writes:
    >> This may already exist somewhere that other newbies will find it, or
    >> it may already be obsolete in the latest ESS.  Otherwise, perhaps it
    >> could serve as the basis for an ess function with a name like
    >> "ess-restore-asm-associations", along with documentation showing how
    >> to add the necessary hooks in .emacs.

    Ed> I saw the web page...

    Ed> http://www.analytics.washington.edu/Zope/wikis/ess/FrontPage

    Ed> where "IssueNo0007 .S and .s extensions in auto-mode-alist" talks
    Ed> about this.  Here is a patch for ess-5.2.0beta3 that addresses the
    Ed> issue nicely, IMHO.

yes, nicely, indeed.
I've applied it and quickly tested if it doesn't break the
default functionality of *.S files ==> all fine.

    Ed> The sysadmin can change system-wide emacs behavior commenting out the
    Ed> .[sSq] association to make a site wide change.  This patch also
    Ed> provides an easy way for users to restore the default relationship
    Ed> between .s or .S files and assembly-mode.

   <.....snip....>

    Ed> The texinfo docs should be updated too, but I only see info files in
    Ed> the ess-5.2.0beta3 tarball.

Can you look again?
I just checked:  The   ess-5.2.0beta3/doc/*.texi  files are all there.

So, that would be nice .. thank you ...  :-)
and I'm waiting for your patch to

      ess-5.2.0beta3/doc/ess.texi   (and maybe
      ess-5.2.0beta3/doc/newfeat.texi )

Thanks again, Ed!
Martin

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><