restore asm extension associations

Ed L Cashin ecashin at uga.edu
Wed Mar 3 18:23:41 CET 2004

Ed L Cashin <ecashin at uga.edu> writes:

> This may already exist somewhere that other newbies will find it, or
> it may already be obsolete in the latest ESS.  Otherwise, perhaps it
> could serve as the basis for an ess function with a name like
> "ess-restore-asm-associations", along with documentation showing how
> to add the necessary hooks in .emacs.

I saw the web page...

  http://www.analytics.washington.edu/Zope/wikis/ess/FrontPage

where "IssueNo0007 .S and .s extensions in auto-mode-alist" talks
about this.  Here is a patch for ess-5.2.0beta3 that addresses the
issue nicely, IMHO.

The sysadmin can change system-wide emacs behavior commenting out the
.[sSq] association to make a site wide change.  This patch also
provides an easy way for users to restore the default relationship
between .s or .S files and assembly-mode.