Updates on working towards a new Debian package for ess

Stefan Theussl stefan.theussl at wu-wien.ac.at
Sun May 18 23:53:09 CEST 2008

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:25:49PM +0200, Stefan Theussl wrote:
>
>> works really nice for me now. I just wanted to comment/answer some of
>> your questions/statements:
>>
>> Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> ii)  We called the package 5.3.7, it starts as 5.3.8 -- so I just
>>> committed a
>>>     trivial fix to debian/changelog making it 5.3.8 in a minute.
>>>

>> I think as long as 5.3.8 is not released I suggest using the tagged
>> 5.3.7 sources. I created a tarball from it and fixed the refcard issue.
>>

> I am confused. I thought the refcard issue was fixed in svn by Martin as per
>
>    r3888 | maechler | 2008-05-16 04:55:32 -0500 (Fri, 16 May 2008) | 3 lines
>
>    Usepackage {fullpage} instead of {a4};
>    {svn} is now also carried by ubuntu
>
> What did you change relative to this?

Actually, nothing. I just thought it would be better to release the
latest upstream release than the current development version. I know
that Martin already fixed this. The refcard.tex I changed was just the
one from the ess.orig.tar.gz which in turn was generated from the tagged
5.3.7 release.

>> You can download it from:
>>
>> http://statmath.wu-wien.ac.at/~theussl/downloads/ess.org.tar.gz
>>

> I think I'd be more comfortable sticking with svn given that it would
> be clearer exactly what code we released off.
>
> It is not uncommon to release Debian package from svn. We could call
> this 5.3.7.svn3892. In a way, that would be more honest than calling a
> snapshot 5.3.7 when there really is a 5.3.7 release.

Ok, sounds good to me.

>> simply bringing the changelog entry back to 5.3.7 will enable you to
>> build a working 5.3.7-1 .deb without complaining that it is 5.3.8 :-).
>>

> Right. I can do the same, I think, by reverting debian/changelog and by setting
> the variable in ess-cust.el:
>
>    edd at ron:~/svn/ess/lisp> grep 5.3.8 *
>    ess-cust.el:(defvar ess-version "5.3.8"
>
> Or did I miss anything?