[BioC] (no subject)

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Mar 13 23:37:58 CET 2013

> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:11:25 -0400
> From: Richard Friedman <friedman at cancercenter.columbia.edu>
> To: "Ryan C. Thompson" <rct at thompsonclan.org>
> Subject: Re: [BioC] QuasiSeq vs DSS
>
> Dear Ryan,
>
> 	Thank you for your response.
> 3 questions:

> 1. If I had just a simple pairwise comparison is it known DSS or
> QuasiSeq better?

> 2. I was unaware that an approximate implementation of QuasiSeq was
> available in edgeR. If so, is it known hor it compare to the ordinairy
> EdgeR on the one hand and the full QuasiSeq on the other.

As Ryan has pointed out, the quasi-likelihood code in edgeR is not an
approximation.  It is an independent implementation that leverages the
additional capabilities of the limma and edgeR packages.  For example, the
edgeR quasi-likelihood code on the devel repository has a robust empirical
Bayes implementation that is very promising.

> 3. And I guess that the third question is for Gordon - Is using DSS and
> QuasiSeq (or EdgeR) together desireable and if so, are there plans to
> incorporate DSS into QuasiSeq (EdgeR).

No, one cannot combine DSS (or any other) shrinkage with quasi-likelihood
shrinkage.  One cannot shrink values that have already been shrunk.
There is no need need for this anyway.

> My note was planning ahead. I will still be in the microarray world for
> a more few weeks before I return to learning RNASeq. I wanted to know
> what the best practice is. If you (or anybody out there) develops a
> script to meld the two methods, I am sure that it would be interesting
> to the list.

I doubt that there is a single best method, although several methods are
quite good.  RNA-seq data analysis is a very fast moving area and I don't
think that it has settled down yet.  Most method authors probably feel
that their own method is best.  However different people get different
results from different simulation comparisons, so it would be wise to
reserve judgement when new papers appear.

Best wishes
Gordon