[BioC] edgeR: new defaults of estimateTagwiseDisp and exactTest

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Mar 8 08:06:19 CET 2013

Dear Zhuzhu,

The edgeR User's guide gives case studies of how we intend edgeR to be
used.  You will see that we expect users to generally use the default
parameters.  Although there are a great many parameters that can be varied
in principle in the edgeR functions, we not expect them to be changed in
most analyses.

One exception was the prior.n argument to estimateTagwiseDisp.  It was
never our intention that a fixed value for prior.n would be used for
datasets of different sizes, so previous versions of the User's Guide used
to explain how to set this parameter.  Several versions ago, we eliminated
the prior.n argument and replaced it with prior.df so that the default
behavior was what we intended.

Over time we have reduced the default value for prior.df somewhat.
Larger values of prior.df give more priority to genes with large fold
changes between groups.  Smaller values of prior.df give more priority to
genes with small dispersion values, i.e., to genes that are consistent
between replicates.

You ask about exactTest().  To learn more about the different rejection
regions, you should start by reading the help page for exactTest(), but I
doubt that this is causing you a problem.  The theory behind the original
exact negative binomial test of Robinson and Smyth (2008) presupposed that
the conditional distibution of the counts given the genewise total was
unimodal (like a binomial distribution).  This is true for typical
dispersion values, but is not true for very large dispersion values.
Hence the original exactTest can give totally innappropriate results when
the dispersion is very, very large.  The new rejection region is similar
to the original when the dispersion is smallish, but gives sensible
results in any situation.  Hence it should be used.  The old rejection
region is preserved as an option only for backward compatability.

Best wishes
Gordon