[BioC] Reading paired-end data into GRangesList

Hubert Rehrauer Hubert.Rehrauer at fgcz.ethz.ch
Wed Oct 26 15:51:47 CEST 2011

Hi

I want to load paired-end data from Bam-Files into R in order to do
expression counting. The complicating thing is, that the first read was
aligned using a gapped alignment (i.e. the cigar string contains Ns).

How can this be done? I thought this would be a quite common task but I
did not find any function that would do this. Neither scanBam nor
readBamGappedAlignments are directly helpful with this.

For me the most obvious thing would be to hold the alignment of such a
read as a GRangesList. In order to get there I would use scanBam to load
the first read. Parse the  cigar string to identify the gaps, build a
GRangesList and then add the alignment of the second read to the List.
Do you have any better ideas?

best regards,
hubert