[BioC] Two channel data vs. one colour data for PCA, heatmaps and clustering

Samuel Wuest wuests at tcd.ie
Mon Nov 14 12:50:28 CET 2011

Hi John,

I would also recommend using the limma package for your type of
analysis. After appropriate normalizations/bg-corrections, you can
extract log-intensities from an MAList object using the exprs.MA()
function. This will return a matrix object that you can use for
pca/heatmaps as you've used before. It s possible that you have to
relabel the columns and rows of the matrix accordingly (you probably
want to use the info in the $targets  and $genes slots of the MAList
object, but there might be other ways to do that).
The only drawback here is that correlations can occur between the two
channels of an array, so for testing for differential gene expression
in an unconnected design -after splitting the channels- I would refer
to Chapter 9 of the limma user guide (see: limmaUsersGuide() ).

Cheers, Sam

Samuel Wuest
Smurfit Institute of Genetics
Trinity College Dublin