[BioC] How to extract Phenotype data from GSE

James F. Reid james.reid at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Mon Nov 7 10:53:37 CET 2011

Hi Reema,

On 07/11/11 03:34, Reema Singh wrote:
> HI Gaurav
>
> Have you solved your problem?. I am also facing the same problem. I did
> it as James mention,but still i m not able to get phenotypic
> information. Here is the steps:-
>
> gse <- getGEO(filename='GPL10265/GSE21111_family.soft.gz',GSEMatrix=TRUE)
> pData(gse[[1]])  OR phenoData(gse[[1]])
> Error in pData(gse[[1]]) :
>    error in evaluating the argument 'object' in selecting a method for
> function 'pData': Error in gse[[1]] : this S4 class is not subsettable
>
> Thanx

the reason this approach is not working for you is because you are using
the SOFT file instead of the GSE_MATRIX. With the file
'GSE21111_series_matrix.txt.gz' the function getGEO will return a list
of ExpressionSet(s) which you can query for phenotypic data using pData
or phenoData.
It would be easier to simply use:
  gse <- getGEO("GSE21111")

Best,