[BioC] expression set object for metaanalysis

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Jan 14 22:20:10 CET 2011

Hi Peevi,

On 1/14/2011 3:51 PM, Peevi Ijkl wrote:
> hello list
> I know i have been asking the same question over and over again but i just want
> to make sure am clear.

Yes you have been asking the same thing over and over. In addition, you
have been posting the same question under different subject lines. And
you have not responded to requests for your sessionInfo() output, even
after it was explained to you in very nice terms what that meant. And
you have either not read the posting guide, or have chosen to ignore it.

So let me be clear as well. This is a volunteer mailing list where the
respondents are choosing to take their time to help answer questions for
free. In order to get people to take time to read, understand, and then
diagnose your problem, you need to make it easy for that to happen. This
is why you were asked for your sessionInfo().

In addition, it is considered bad form to repost the same question over
and over, using different subject lines. You may think that will
increase the odds that somebody will see your question, but in fact
those of us who answer questions see _all_ the questions, and people who
abuse the system like that will tend to be ignored.

Now the code you post below won't work as written, so you have either
made some copy-paste errors, or are simply typing what you think you ran
into this email. This isn't helpful.

What we need is the actual R session, including the output. Since that
can get very long, you should eliminate all steps that are not necessary
to show the problem you are having. After you have run the offending
code, you also have to run sessionInfo() and add that output to the email.

If you have questions about what something like sessionInfo() means, you
can always type ?sessionInfo at the R prompt to see the help page. By
trying to figure things out on your own and showing that you have done
so, people will be more likely to want to help you.

Best,

Jim

> I am loading the CEL files into R using ReadAffy along with the phenodata..then
> I am performing normalization.Now i want to create another expression set object
>
> which I can use for meta-analysis but I am not able to.Any suggestions will be
> helpful.
> thanks
> peevi
>
> pd<- read.AnnotatedDataFrame( "target.txt", header=T, row.names=1, sep=";" )
> pData(pd)
> expression_data<- ReadAffy( filenames = rownames (pData(pd)) )
> expression_data
> rma_expression_data<-rma(expression_data)
> f1<- function( x ) ( IQR(x)>  0.5 )
> ff<- filterfun(f1)
> rma_filtered<- genefilter( rma_expression_data, ff )
> sum(rma_filtered)
> rma_data_selected<- rma_expression_data [ rma_filtered, ]
> dim(rma_expression_data)
> dim(rma_data_selected)
>
> till here I have no errors at all..after this i try the following..
>
> data1<-new("ExpressionSet",exprs=rma_data_selected,phenodata=pData,annotation="hgu133a2")
>

> Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
>    unable to find an inherited method for function "annotatedDataFrameFrom", for
> signature "ExpressionSet".
>
> please help!
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

James W. MacDonald, M.S.