[BioC] ChIPpeakAnno::getEnrichedGo crashes but I don't know why

Eric Cabot elcabot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 00:51:04 CET 2011

I am a relatively new Bioconductor user and I am trying to analyze some
ChIP-seq results that came from QuEST using the ChIPpeakAnno package.

After importing the regions of interest into RangedData objects and doing
the following:

ENSEMBLE_GENES_MART<-useMart(biomart="ensembl",dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
ENSEMBL_ExonPlus_Annotation<-getAnnotation(ENSEMBLE_GENES_MART,
featureType="ExonPlusUtr")

I had no problem annotating  and generating  a Venn diagram to show the
overlaps between my three sets of peaks. To annotate, I used:

annotated_regions=annotatePeakInBatch(myranged,
AnnotationData=ENSEMBL_ExonPlus_Annotation)

But I cannot seem to get the getEnrichedGo method to work on this (or my
other two annotated regions). Here is a typical command line:

my_enrichedGO<-getEnrichedGO(annotated_regions,orgAnn="org.Hs.eg.db",maxP=0.01,multiAdj=TRUE,minGOterm=1,
multiAdjMethod="BH",feature_id_type="ensembl_gene_id")

and here is a typical error message:

enrichedGO<-getEnrichedGO(annotated_regions,orgAnn="org.Hs.eg.db",maxP=0.01,multiAdj=TRUE,minGOterm=1,feature_id_type="ensembl_gene_id")
Error in if (class(go.ids) != "matrix" | dim(go.ids)[2] < 4) { :
   argument is of length zero

Which leads me to ask:

1) Is this error message supposed to be meaningful to me-i.e. a user-or is
it something that I should be sending to the developer of the package?

2) Is there anything obvious from this that suggests what corrective
action I should be taking?

Eric Cabot
University of Wisconsin