[BioC] Biocinstall

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Thu Aug 25 00:14:39 CEST 2011

Hi Jim,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM, James W. MacDonald
<jmacdon at med.umich.edu> wrote:

> On 8/24/2011 12:38 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Vincent Carey
>> <stvjc at channing.harvard.edu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> set ask=F in the call?  an exclude pattern might be nice to have.
>>
>> Yes, setting ask=FALSE will not prompt at all.
>>
>> The y/n/c prompt comes from R's update.packages(), so we can't change it.
>
> Right. But that isn't what I asked.
>
> To me the issue is that new functionality has been added to biocLite(),
> where the default is to update packages. This is good, and is something that
> some people have been asking about for years (Hi HB).
>
> However, the default is to just dump people into update.packages() with ask
> = TRUE. Which is fair enough. Some people would be off-put by having things
> updated against their wishes. So I see the point of setting ask = TRUE as
> the default.
>
> However, to me it is simpler to just tell people that there are some
> packages that can be updated and ask them how they want to handle the
> situation. Please see the attached patch. If you want, I can just increment
> the version and commit.

I added a modified version of your patch. If ask==TRUE, your prompting
code is run, otherwise the value of ask is passed unchanged to
update.packages().

Also added some code to avoid calling readLines() from a
non-interactive session and in that case to behave as though the user
pressed "n", as update.packages() does.

This will auto-install starting tomorrow shortly after noon Seattle time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan