[BioC] Biocinstall

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Aug 24 20:16:19 CEST 2011

On 8/24/2011 12:38 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Vincent Carey
> <stvjc at channing.harvard.edu>  wrote:
>> set ask=F in the call?  an exclude pattern might be nice to have.
>
> Yes, setting ask=FALSE will not prompt at all.
>
> The y/n/c prompt comes from R's update.packages(), so we can't change it.

Right. But that isn't what I asked.

To me the issue is that new functionality has been added to biocLite(),
where the default is to update packages. This is good, and is something
that some people have been asking about for years (Hi HB).

However, the default is to just dump people into update.packages() with
ask = TRUE. Which is fair enough. Some people would be off-put by having
things updated against their wishes. So I see the point of setting ask =
TRUE as the default.

However, to me it is simpler to just tell people that there are some
packages that can be updated and ask them how they want to handle the
situation. Please see the attached patch. If you want, I can just
increment the version and commit.

Best,

Jim