[BioC] Problem importing ArrayExpress data for custom array into BioConductor

Aatish aatish at physics.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 20 08:15:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've been spending a lot of time trying to do something quite elementary and
have been getting thoroughly stuck, so apologies in advance for the basic
question.

I've been trying to build an R object from CEL data from the ArrayExpress
database. I used the ArrayExpress package for BioConductor to import the data.

Following the vignette, I ran:

library("ArrayExpress")
rawset = ArrayExpress("E-TABM-14")

which downloaded all the data for this experiment. After downloading I get the
message:

Read 48 items
The object containing experiment  E-TABM-14  has been built.

However, if I try to access this data structure (which should be an AffyBatch
file), I get the following error message:

rawset

Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/bioc/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.11
AffyBatch object
size of arrays=2560x2560 features (32 kb)
cdf=Scervisiae_tiling (??? affyids)
number of samples=8
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/bioc/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.11
Error in getCdfInfo(object) :
  Could not obtain CDF environment, problems encountered:
Specified environment does not contain Scervisiae_tiling
Library - package scervisiaetilingcdf not installed
Bioconductor - scervisiaetilingcdf not available
In addition: Warning message:
missing cdf environment! in show(AffyBatch)

As far as I know, there is no standard package called scervisiaetilingcdf. I
assume that I am missing a CDF file that is for the customized Affymetrix S.
Cerevisiae Tiling Microarray that was used to generate the data.  However, I
don't know where I can obtain this CDF file from or how I can create it. I would
be very appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help,
Aatish Bhatia
PhD. student, Rutgers University

P.S. Here are the contents of:

traceback()
7: stop(paste("Could not obtain CDF environment, problems encountered:",
paste(unlist(badOut), collapse = "\n"), sep = "\n"))
6: getCdfInfo(object)
5: featureNames(object)
4: featureNames(object)
3: cat("number of genes=", length(featureNames(object)), "\n", sep = "")
2: function (object)
   standardGeneric("show")(<S4 object of class "AffyBatch">)
1: function (object)
   standardGeneric("show")(<S4 object of class "AffyBatch">)

and

sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] limma_3.4.5        affy_1.26.1        ArrayExpress_1.8.0 Biobase_2.8.0

[1] affyio_1.16.0         preprocessCore_1.10.0 tools_2.11.1
[4] XML_3.2-0