[BioC] MA plots + dye swap

Claus Mayer claus at bioss.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 15:48:39 CET 2010

Hi Guido!

Additionally to what Wolfgang already wrote you might have a look at a
related thread on the mailing list, that was discussed just recently
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2010-January/thread.html#31254)
.

What you call "mirrored version" of the MA-Plot, corresponds to the negative
correlation of the M-values discussed in that thread. One reason why you
tend not to observe this negative correlation/mirrored version is that the
normalization (loess,vsn,whatever) removes an OVERALL dye effect, which is
also allowed to be intensity depending for the standard methods, BUT: the
dye effect can also have a gene-specific component, i.e. two genes with
similar intensities might have very different dye-effects for example
because of their difference in GC content or other properties.

This is not addressed by the standard methods, which means your MA-Plots
will not look as "mirrored" as you think. You can account for the
gene-specific dye effect though by including that effect in your limma model
(cf. the limma tutorial).

Also (and this is partly by covered by Wolfgang's reply) you will only
observe a mirror effect for genes which are truly biologically differential
expressed. So if there is not much differential expression, there won't be
much mirroring either.

Best Wishes

Claus