[BioC] Agilent G4112A Arrays

Francois Pepin francois at sus.mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 25 19:00:43 CET 2010

Hi Cunming,

I see. You will indeed be stuck at looking at M values for any single
patient.

One way would be to put them all in limma first to get some basic
statistics and then just look at the M values for the pairs of
interest. Then you can ask for say how many have an M value over a
given threshold or something like that.

Francois

On Jan 25, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Chuming Chen wrote:

> Hi Francois:
>
> The experiment was done five years old. I am just trying to do some
> analysis.
>
> This experiment was performed on human colonic crypts.  They were
> microdissected into two parts - the top 9/10 and the bottom 1/10.
> Thus in my target file, T or B stands for top or bottom and the
> number after it represents patients 1-5. I guess it belongs to the
> strange one you mentioned.
>
> I am trying to find out the differentially expressed genes for at
> least B1 vs T1, B2 vs T2 etc. There is probably no way to find out
> the differentially expressed genes for other pairs of contrasts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuming
>
> francois at sus.mcgill.ca wrote:
>> Hi Chuming,
>>
>> Would you mind explaining a bit more what the samples are? What you
>> are
>> describing below is either a very simple experiment with 5 biological
>> replicates or a rather strange one that tries to test 5 conditions
>> at the
>> same time with 5 different controls.
>>
>> If the former, then you can set up your design matrix to show this.
>> You
>> would lose the matched nature of your data, but you should get some
>> decent
>> results using limma.
>>
>> If the latter, then whatever statistics you would do on the M
>> values would
>> be a bit strange as they would all represent different treatments.
>>
>> Francois
>>

>>> Hi Prashantha,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your suggestion. My target file is as below.
>>> Although I
>>> couldn't fit a linear model, I still wonder whether I can do some
>>> statistic on M (log ratio) values and use the p-value to get the
>>> differentially expressed genes.
>>>
>>> SlideNumber    FileName    Cy3    Cy5
>>> 1    B1vsT1.txt    B1    T1
>>> 2    B2vsT2.txt    B2    T2