[BioC] problems with bioconductor installation

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Mon Feb 22 19:24:13 CET 2010

Hi Pete,

I'm joining Wolfgang and all the Bioconductor-on-Linux users out there
to highly recommend that you compile/install R-2.10.1 from source.
On Ubuntu it's particularly easy and that will allow you to run the
current version of Bioconductor (2.5). We don't (and cannot) support
older versions of BioC.

On my 64bit Ubuntu 9.04 machine, I needed to install the following
.deb packages before being able to compile/install R and BioC (some
BioC packages require compilation too so it's really important that
you manage to install those components):

Required stuff:
   gcc
   gfortran
   g++
   gobjc
   libreadline5-dev
   libx11-dev
   libxt-dev

Highly recommended stuff (TeX/LaTeX, tcltk, PNG, JPEG, cairo, Java):
   texlive
   texlive-latex-extra (for fullpage.sty)
   texi2html
   texinfo
   tk-dev
   libpng12-dev
   libjpeg62-dev
   libcairo2-dev
   manpages-dev (includes man pages for the C standard lib)

Needed by some CRAN or BioC packages:
   libxml2-dev (for XML)
   libcurl4-openssl-dev (for RCurl)
   libnetcdf-dev (for xcms, RNetCDF, etc...)
   libgraphviz-dev (for RGraphviz)
   libmagick++9-dev (for EBImage)

Each component can be installed with e.g. 'sudo apt-get install gcc'.
Note that the 'sudo' command will prompt you for your regular password,
not an admin password. Also note that, strictly speaking, the list above
is for Ubuntu 9.04, but chances are high that it is very similar, if not
the same, for Ubuntu 9.10.

Cheers,
H.

--