[BioC] Rgraphviz: .onLoad error

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Wed May 6 04:01:24 CEST 2009

Michael,
First to your point on the DESCRIPTION file. The SystemRequirements
field in the DESCRIPTION file is intended to describe system
requirements above what R expects in order to install/build the package
from source. As such the Rgraphviz package claims it can be built from
source against Graphviz version 2.2 or greater. We can bump that number
up to something more recent since we aren't testing it against Graphviz
2.2 anymore, but that wouldn't make your life any easier.

Over the last development cycle Kasper and others (including me) worked
to make Rgraphviz easier to use on Windows. I can't speak about non BioC
packages, but all BioC 2.4 packages (running on R 2.9.x) are stable. One
of the changes Kasper made to the Rgraphviz package in BioC 2.4 is
improving the graphvizVersion function to print out both the version of
Graphviz that Rgraphviz was built against alongside the version that
Rgraphviz is currently linking to.

 > library(Rgraphviz)
 > graphvizVersion()
$installed_version
[1] '2.20.3'

$build_version
[1] '2.20.3'

In addition, when you load the Rgraphviz library, it will produce a
warning like

Warning message:
Rgraphviz built with Graphviz version 2.20.3.
Found installed Graphviz version 2.22.2. This _may_ cause problems.

if something looks squirrelly. It is enhancements like these that make
it worth upgrading your version of R.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252;LC_NUME
RIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] grid      stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
[8] base

other attached packages:
[1] Rgraphviz_1.22.1 graph_1.22.2

[1] tools_2.9.0