[BioC] Rgraphviz: .onLoad error

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Wed May 6 03:17:36 CEST 2009

Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> You are using R-2.8.1, so the easiest fix would be for you to upgrade
> to R-2.9. I am not sure we can be too helpfull with older version.
>
> Nevertheless, from
> http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/2.3/bioc-LATEST/Rgraphviz/liverpool-checksrc.html
>
> it seems that this version of graphviz was build using 2.21, which is
> a development version (based on the directory name). You will not be
> able to find that archived anywhere. I suggest building from source
> yourself. Or perhaps try Graphviz 2.22 which we still have some
> hiccups with.
>
> So, you should upgrade....
Thanks very much for the this information Kasper.  Unfortunately,
upgrading to R-2.9.0 is a largish job
because it entails upgrading some other packages that don't yet work
with 2.9.0 and modifying my
eclipse development environment as well.  I was hoping to wait until
2.9.0-patched and other
packages settled down.

Because graphviz and Rgraphviz seem to have a long history of
incompatibility problems, could I suggest
that the DESCRIPTION file for Rgraphviz be more explicit about exactly
which version of graphviz it
was built with?
The present System Requirements,
Graphviz version >= 2.2
is insufficiently precise (I have Graphviz 2.20).    Such information
could be also be maintained in an
Rgraphvis-package.Rd file, (with a link to
the graphviz version.) but that doesn't seem to be part of the package
That might forestall a lot of traffic on the bioc list on this topic,
though I realize it creates an extra
maintenance step.

Michae Friendly     Email: friendly at yorku.ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.
York University      Voice: 416 736-5115 x66249 Fax: 416 736-5814
4700 Keele Street    http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/friendly.html
Toronto, ONT  M3J 1P3 CANADA