[BioC] Xps package : errors and RMA difference with Partek GS

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Sat Mar 28 23:03:21 CET 2009

Dear Arnaud,

Regarding the problem with "bgcorrect.rma()":
Currently function "bgcorrect.rma()" works only with expression arrays,
I will update it in the next version.
At the moment you need to use the general function "bgcorrect()" with
the correct settings.

Thus if you want to compute RMA stepwise you need to do:
## 1.step: background - rma
data.bg.rma <- bgcorrect(data.exon, "ExonRMABgrd", filedir=datdir,
method="rma", select="antigenomic", option="pmonly:epanechnikov",
params=c(16384), exonlevel="core")

## 2.step: normalization - quantile
data.qu.rma <- normalize.quantiles(data.bg.rma, "ExonRMANorm",
filedir=datdir , exonlevel="core")

## 3.step: summarization - medpol
data.mp.rma <- summarize.rma(data.qu.rma, "ExonRMASum", filedir=datdir,
exonlevel="core")

This will give the same expression levels as using function "rma()"
directly:
## compute rma:
data.rma <- rma(data.exon, "ExonRMAcore", filedir=datdir,
background="antigenomic",
normalize=T, option="transcript", exonlevel="core")

Alternatively you can use function "express()" to compute RMA:
a, stepwise:
## 1.step: background - rma
expr.bg.rma <- express(data.exon, "ExonExprsBgrd", filedir=datdir,
tmpdir="",
bgcorrect.method="rma", bgcorrect.select="antigenomic",
bgcorrect.option="pmonly:epanechnikov", bgcorrect.params=c(16384),
exonlevel="core")

## 2.step: normalization - quantile
expr.qu.rma <- express(expr.bg.rma, "ExonExprsNorm", filedir=datdir,
tmpdir="",
normalize.method="quantile", normalize.select="pmonly",
normalize.option="transcript:together:none", normalize.logbase="0",
normalize.params=c(0.0), exonlevel="core")

## 3.step: summarization - medpol
expr.mp.rma <- express(expr.qu.rma, "ExonExprsSum", filedir=datdir,
tmpdir="",
summarize.method="medianpolish", summarize.select="pmonly",
summarize.option="transcript", summarize.logbase="log2",
summarize.params=c(10, 0.01, 1.0), exonlevel="core")

b, with a single call to express()
expr.rma <- express(data.exon, "ExonExprs", filedir=datdir, tmpdir="",
bgcorrect.method="rma", bgcorrect.select="antigenomic",
bgcorrect.option="pmonly:epanechnikov", bgcorrect.params=c(16384),
normalize.method="quantile", normalize.select="pmonly",
normalize.option="transcript:together:none", normalize.logbase="0",
normalize.params=c(0.0), summarize.method="medianpolish",
summarize.select="pmonly", summarize.option="transcript",
summarize.logbase="log2", summarize.params=c(10, 0.01, 1.0),
exonlevel="core")

I hope that these examples help you to use functions bgcorrect(),
normalize.quantiles(), summarize.rma() and express().

Best regards
Christian