[BioC] Biomart Error

Rhoda Kinsella rhoda at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Mar 13 11:51:30 CET 2009

Hi Steffen,
I have fixed the internal name issue and this change has now been
pushed to the live ensembl servers. If I do the following query it
seems to work:

 > library(biomaRt)
 > mymart = useMart("ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL",
dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl", host="http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martservice
")
Checking attributes and filters ... ok
 > gene = c("XM_001124306")
 > getBM(attributes=c("refseq_dna_predicted", "ensembl_gene_id"),
filters = "refseq_dna_predicted", values = gene, mart=mymart)
   refseq_dna_predicted ensembl_gene_id
1         XM_001124306 ENSG00000205358

Hopefully it will therefore not be necessary for Becky to have to do
an update.
Regards,
Rhoda

On 12 Mar 2009, at 22:20, steffen at stat.Berkeley.EDU wrote:

> Hi Becky,
>
> You query will work if you update biomaRt and use the developmental
> version.
> You can download it from here:
>
> http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.4/bioc/html/biomaRt.html
>
> You also need to specify what filter you are using, this seem to be
> missing in your query.
>
> Once you've updated biomaRt try:
>
> ensembl<-useMart("ensembl", dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
>
> #use list filters to list the filternames
> listFilters(ensembl)
>
> #then do you query using the correct attribute and filter name
>
> myGetBM <-
> getBM(attributes=c("refseq_dna_predicted","ensembl_gene_id"),
> filter="refseq_dna_predicted",values=genes, mart=ensembl)
>
> Cheers,
> Steffen
>
>> Hi Becky,
>> I have had a look at the Ensembl mart configuration and there are
>> differences between the internal_name for the refseq dna predicted
>> filter and attribute names. One has lowercase "dna" and the other has
>> uppercase "DNA". I am in the process of fixing this and will let you
>> know when it has been solved. Many thanks for reporting the bug and
>> apologies for any inconvenience.
>> Regards,
>> Rhoda
>>

>> On 10 Mar 2009, at 16:26, Becky Saunders wrote:
>>
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> I have an error on Biomart where I can not use the
>>> refseq_dna_predicted
>>> attribute.
>>>
>>> If I use the following gene id data and the following commands I get
>>> the
>>> error:

>>>            V1
>>> 1  XM_001000131