[BioC] ragene10st

Sebastien Gerega seb at gerega.net
Thu Mar 5 23:30:09 CET 2009

Thanks to all those that offered advice. I have now managed to create an
annotation file for rat gene ST arrays. It can be downloaded from:
http://sydneybioinformatics.org/download/ragene10st.db.rar
in case anyone else is interested in using it.

Sebastien

Hooiveld, Guido wrote:
> Hi Sebastien,
> To follow-up and clarify on Manhong remarks:
> Philip, my collegue, prepared the annotation files for many of the
> Entrez-based remapped CDF files.
> The remapping of the probes has been done by Manhong et al @ the MBNI,
> and the mapped Entrez IDs are then used by Philip to create the
> corresponding annotation files (using the annotation/SQLForge library),
> that are made available trough the link you mentioned below.
>
> HTH,
> Guido

>>> fname = "RaGene-1_0-st-v1.EDITED.txt"
>>> wdir = getwd()
>>> makeRATCHIP_DB(affy=FALSE,
>>>     prefix="ragene10st",
>>>     fileName=fname,
>>>     baseMapType="eg",
>>>     outputDir = wdir,
>>>     version="1.0.0",
>>>     manufacturer = "Affymetrix",
>>>     chipName = "Rat Gene ST Array",
>>>     manufacturerUrl = "http://www.affymetrix.com")
>>>
>>> I then used this library for annotation of an analysis I
>>>
>> performed. At
>>
>>> this point I realised that about one third of the 29171 probes were
>>> assigned the gene symbol "RT1-C113". I realise this is due to the
>>> annotation file used being in the wrong format. I had used the
>>> "mrna_assignment" column which contains data appearing in a complex
>>> format. Here are a couple examples:
>>> NM_001099458 // RefSeq // Rattus norvegicus similar to putative
>>> pheromone receptor (RGD1564110), mRNA. // chr1 // 49 // 74
>>>
>> // 19 // 39
>>
>>> // 0 ///
>>> ENSRNOT00000046204 // Rn.217623 // ---
>>> NM_001099461 // Rn.217622 // --- /// NM_001099461 //
>>>
>> Rn.217622 // ---
>>
>>> /// ENSRNOT00000041455 // Rn.217622 // --- /// ENSRNOT00000046204 //
>>> Rn.217623 // ---
>>>
>>> Unfortunately for the Gene ST chips there are no columns
>>>
>> that simply
>>
>>> contain genbank, unigene, or refseq IDs.
>>>
>>> So instead I tried Manhong's suggestion of using a custom CDF but
>>> there is no custom CDF for rat gene ST arrays on the
>>> http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/ website. However, if I follow
>>> the link to http://nugo-r.bioinformatics.nl/NuGO_R.html I
>>>
>> am able to
>>
>>> locate an appropriate CDF. Unfortunately, upon further
>>>
>> examination of
>>
>>> this CDF package it appears as though the wrong probe IDs
>>>
>> have been used.
>>
>>> For example:
>>>  > as.list(ragene10stv1rnentrezgSYMBOL)[1:5]
>>> $`112400_at`
>>> [1] "Nrg1"
>>>
>>> $`113882_at`
>>> [1] "Hemgn"
>>>
>>> $`113886_at`
>>> [1] "Kif1c"
>>>
>>> $`113892_at`
>>> [1] "Cml3"
>>>
>>> As far as I am aware the probe IDs used for rat gene ST
>>>
>> arrays are in
>>
>>> the following format (8 digits without "_at"):
>>> 10700001
>>> 10700003
>>> 10700004
>>> 10700005