[BioC] RMA (model II) regression with lmFit

Paolo Innocenti paolo.innocenti at ebc.uu.se
Mon Jun 29 12:26:10 CEST 2009

Dear list,

does anyone know if it is possible to fit a RMA (Reduced Major Axis, or
model II) regression in limma?

The difference should basically be that it assumes error on the x as
well, instead of just on the response variable. In other words, instead
of minimizing the the residual on the vertical axis, it tries to
minimize the area between x- and y- residuals.

It would be extremely helpful for me, because the line of best fit
doesn't change when Y~X or X~Y. I would need an estimate for the slope
of the line when I swap the variables, but with a normal regression I
guess I can't just do 1/b.

Thanks,
paolo

--