[BioC] XML and biomaRt problem?

john seers (IFR) john.seers at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 8 12:09:44 CEST 2009

Hi All

Just a warning to other people who might be about to update and I am not
sure how to guard against this sort of problem. How are bioconductor and
CRAN coordinated? I updated my version of XML (from CRAN) and had some
problems using biomaRt.

On issuing library(bioMart) I got a message saying that iconv.dll could
not be downloaded and reinstalling the application might fix the
problem. Also shown were messages about unable to load XML or the
biomaRt namespace.

I re-installed XML from bioconductor and it all worked again.

My sessionInfo() below is the version that is working, not the problem
configuration.

Regards

John Seers

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
Kingdom.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
Kingdom.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] biomaRt_2.0.0 RWinEdt_1.8-1

[1] RCurl_0.97-3 tools_2.9.0  XML_2.3-0