[BioC] Keep getting warning messages of package 'XYZ' was built under R version 2.8.1

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Sun Feb 22 23:10:59 CET 2009

Daren,
The current policy for bioconductor.org is to follow CRAN conventions.
The Windows and Mac OS X binary packages in CRAN-like repositories
differentiate between minor releases (x.y and x.(y+1)), but not
between subminor releases (x.y.z and x.y.(z+1)). Given that subminor
releases tend to contain mainly bug fixes with a light sprinkling of
enhancements and (ideally) no major changes, what justification is
there to stay at R 2.8.0 rather than upgrade to R 2.8.1? Because
subminor releases shouldn't break existing systems, even IT
departments tend not to have their blood levels rise when asked to
upgrade a software from version x.y.z to x.y.(z+1).

As with all things in the Bioconductor project, all decisions are
subject to review and modification. Keep in mind that there is a cost
in maintaining subminor binary package repositories so the benefits
must be judged against that cost.

Patrick