[BioC] why is the CMA package not available for windows??

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Mon Feb 9 18:56:13 CET 2009

Maria,
The reason is because CMA fails to pass check on Windows due to MikTex
issues when processing the examples in the *.Rd man pages. I spent
some time during the
  BioC 2.3 release and realized untangling this issue would take
longer than I had to spend. When BioC 2.4 is ready to release in a
couple of months, I'll probably spend some time again trying to fix
CMA so it builds on Windows. If, however, someone has a chance to work
on this package before then, we can make this package available on
Windows sooner. This package doesn't require 3rd party libraries or
code compilation, so in that respects it is easy to work with.

D:\sandbox>D:\biocbld\bbs-2.4-bioc\R\bin\R CMD check CMA_1.1.1.tar.gz
* checking examples ... ERROR
Running examples in 'CMA-Ex.R' failed.
The error most likely occurred in:

> ### * ElasticNetCMA
>
> flush(stderr()); flush(stdout())
>
> ### Name: ElasticNetCMA
> ### Title: Classification and variable selection by the ElasticNet
> ### Aliases: ElasticNetCMA
>
> ### ** Examples
>
> ### load Golub AML/ALL data
> data(golub)
> ### extract class labels
> golubY <- golub[,1]
> ### extract gene expression
> golubX <- as.matrix(golub[,-1])
> ### select learningset
> ratio <- 2/3
> set.seed(111)
> learnind <- sample(length(golubY), size=floor(ratio*length(golubY)))
> ### run ElasticNet - penalized logistic regression (no tuning)
> result <- ElasticNetCMA(X=golubX, y=golubY, learnind=learnind,
> norm.fraction = 0.2, lambda2=0.01)
> AML/ALL data
Error: unexpected symbol in "AML/ALL data"
Execution halted