[BioC] combining GSA and lmFit

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Apr 28 03:34:29 CEST 2009

Dear Dick,

Anything in GSA which works with the SAM statistic should also work fine
with limma moderated t-statistics.

However there are several issues that come to my mind which affect both
statistics.  Firstly, both SAM and limma statistics depend on the whole
ensemble of genes, i.e., they are not merely computed genewise.  This is
unlike the floored mean statistics assumed in the GSA theory paper.  This
has clear computational implications, but also could give rise to some
theoretical issues.

Secondly, it's not too clear to me whether it makes sense to compute
regularized or moderated statistics after the standardization steps that
GSA does.

Thirdly, GSA computes p-values from permuation, and permutation does not
perform well for linear models.

These are simply my thoughts, which you asked for.  You may have ways
around all these issues.

Best wishes
Gordon