[BioC] Lumi: filtering and batch effects (combat)

Pan Du dupan at northwestern.edu
Tue Feb 26 17:27:56 CET 2008

Hi Simone,

You can find your answers from the lumi vignette (latest version is 1.5.17).

For your first question, you can use detectionCall function to select the
threshold of deteciton p-value cut-off (0.01 by default).
For example:
presentCount <- detectionCall(example.lumi, Th=0.01)
selDataMatrix <- dataMatrix[presentCount > 0,]
See the use case in the vignette for more details.

For the inverse transformation of VST, there is a function inverseVST. Now
it only works for the RSN or SSN normalization algorithms. Please see the
vignette for more details.

As for batch effects, it is always a problem for microarray analysis. That's
why we strongly suggest doing the experiment in the same batch. Different
normalization methods or modeling can help to reduce the batch effects
somehow. But they are always based on some assumptions. These assumptions
may not work for some cases.

Pan