[BioC] Factorial experiment: No degree of freedom in maanova

Marcelo Laia marcelolaia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:09:22 CET 2008

Dear,

I try to solve the "No degree of Freedom" problem after the Naomi's
suggestion. Thank you very much!

I found that:

1. with interactions in the formula, there aren't DF for analysis in
both, fixed and mixed model (with Samples in random factor) for four
factors (Var, ind, Trat and Time).

2. without interactions in the model are possible to calculate all
factors (Var, ind, Trat and Time) in both methods, mixed and fixed.

2. without Samples in the model (fixed model) is it possible to
calculate only interactions. No DF for single factors.

Now, I am on a dilemma: Do the analysis of the four factors in a mixed
model (or fixed, both works better) and, after to include the
interactions, do the analysis using fixed model (without
Samples)?!?!?!  Do I violating statistic's laws here?!?!

This is not a question 100% related to Bioconductor, but, here, there
are persons that, I think, could have, in the past, problems like this
one ( I hope :)   ).

Any comments is very welcome!

Thank you very much.

Marcelo