[BioC] ReadAffy crashes R-devel on mac

Helen Zhou zhou.helen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 23:24:24 CET 2008

--- Diego Diez <diez at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi Helen,
>
> (sorry for the double message I forgot to cc bioc)
>
> I found the same problem when installing BioC
> development packages
> with R-devel in a PPC Mac. The reason might be that
> the binary
> packages are not compiled for PPC in the devel
> branch although I am
> not sure about it. Anyway, to solve it you should
> use source packages,
> i.e. either:
>
> source('http://bioconductor.org/bioLite.R')
> biocLite(type="source")
>
> or if you want to update your installation:
>
> library(Biobase)
> update.packages(repos=biocReposList(),
> type="source")
>
> unfortunately, after realizing my problem I was
> unable to fix the
> installation and I had to reinstall R-devel and BioC
> again. Maybe I
> didn't too hard.

Dear Diego

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely keep that in
mind!! However, I'm afraid it doesn't solve my problem
- although it does slightly shift it.

After reinstalling R-devel, fiddling around with a lot
of things, updating/installing packages from source, I
finally got Biobase working :). Only to get the
problem with affyio instead :(

> library(Biobase)

Welcome to Bioconductor

  Vignettes contain introductory material. To view,
type
  'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
  'citation("Biobase")' and for packages
'citation(pkgname)'.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.0 Under development (unstable)
(2008-02-12 r44439)
i386-apple-darwin8.10.1

locale:
en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] tools     stats     graphics  grDevices utils
datasets  methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] Biobase_1.17.13
> library(affyio)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library/affyio/libs/i386/affyio.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library/affyio/libs/i386/affyio.so,
6): Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library/affyio/libs/i386/affyio.so
  Reason: Incompatible library version: affyio.so
requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib
provides version 5.0.0
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'affyio'

Will continue trying though; am still hopeful.

Best
- Helen

> Hope this helps.
>
> Diego.
>
> On Feb 13, 2008 8:06 PM, Helen Zhou
> <zhou.helen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Dear Ben,
> >
> > thanks your for your fast reply. I actually
> thought I
> > installed everything with biocLite() when I
> changed to
> > R-devel a couple of weeks ago, but I guess I must
> have
> > messed up somewhere.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I suspect that I have some issues
> with
> > my installation. I updated the packages by running
> >
> > > repos <- biocReposList()
> > > update.packages(repos=repos, ask=FALSE)
> >
> > but now, what ever I try I run into a problem with
> > Biobase. My previous version was 1.17.8, but after
> the
> > update it's 1.17.12, but I can't actually load it.
> In
> > a new R-session with nothing else loaded:
> >
> > > library(Biobase)
> > Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
> >   unable to load shared library

'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library/Biobase/libs/i386/Biobase.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library/Biobase/libs/i386/Biobase.so,

=== message truncated ===