[BioC] (GC)RMA estimates without summerization?

Hooiveld, Guido Guido.Hooiveld at wur.nl
Mon Feb 11 21:41:37 CET 2008

Thanks Ben, got it working fine for RMA!

Two more questions, though (I hope you don't mind):
- Output of preprocess is an AffyBatch object; how to save the
expression estimates?
I tried
> esetrma <- preprocess(rawdata)
> write.table(exprs(esetrma), file="RMA_no_summary.tx", sep="\t")
but that produces a huge file, and when viewed it contains both
'normal'and log2 values; the log2-values are obviously the expression
estimates, but what are the 'normal' values? These are likely not
needed. And how to put the probe ID in the first column, i.e. how to
list the expression estimates per probe?

- I would like to apply the emperical Bayes estimate for bakcground
correction of GCRMA in stead of the miximum likelyhood estimate (MLE).
Normally you would do this by specifying the argument "FAST=false":
	esetgcrma <- gcrma(rawdata, fast=FALSE)
How to do this in preprocess() [or threestep()]? I assume both functions
apply the default settings of gcrma, which is fast=TRUE.
This doesn't work:
> esetgcrma <- preprocess(rawdata, background.method = "GCRMA",
fast=FALSE)
Error in preprocess(rawdata, background.method = "GCRMA", fast = FALSE)
:
  unused argument(s) (fast = FALSE)

Thanks again!
Guido