[BioC] transferring AffyBatch object and 64 bit R

Joern Toedling toedling at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 8 21:03:16 CET 2008

Hi Donna,

I don't think this issue is related to whether you are using a 64bit or
32bit system. When you are installing R packages locally, which is a
good idea, you need to tell R explicitly that from now on it should look
for packages there, too.
You can do this when attaching the package using the lib.loc argument as
you apparently do. Threre are, however, better solutions.
One is at start of your R session to add paths to packages using the
function .libPaths (the dot at the beginning is part of the function
name, see
?.libPaths
or on Linux even better, define an environment variable called R_LIBS in
your shell startup script, which is called ".cshrc" or ".bashrc"
depending on which shell you use with the command
setenv R_LIBS "path/to_your_local/R_libraries"  # for csh and tcsh
or something like
export R_LIBS= "path/to_your_local/R_libraries" # or similar for bash,
please check that I am using only tcsh
You can also type that in the command line before starting R and from
then on R will look in that directory as well for installed packages,
which you can check again in your R session typing
.libPaths()
This is also the reason why you cannot display the AffyBatch, since the
cdf environment is needed to display it and
since the package "hgu133plus2cdf " is not installed in R's standard
package directory but probably elsewhere, it cannot find it.
Using the R_LIBS variable (or the .libPaths function) should solve that
issue.

Best regards,
Joern