[BioC] dependence of log2-ratios on scanning sensitivity?

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sun Feb 3 18:31:37 CET 2008

Dear Kamila,

I don't know what exactly your normalisation did to obtain your "real,
intra-array normalized probe log2-ratios", but it is a common
challenge of two-color arrays to do good background correction, and if
the background intensities are quite different between different
arrays and the background correction is not adequate, this might
indeed lead to the kind of problem you describe.

In general it is good practice to not vary anything that might change
the distribution of the data (such as scanner settings, labeling
efficiency, amount of CIP'ed RNA) between arrays, because post hoc
data normalisation will at best imperfectly remove these variations.

Best wishes
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber