[BioC] Regarding the use of eBayes

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Feb 1 01:32:41 CET 2008

Dear Benno,

It makes perfect sense to remove from your Illumina analysis probes which
seem to be entirely unexpressed throughout your experiment.  This is a
phenomena which is especially noticeable with Illumina arrays.  However, to
use this strategy, you must remove probes entirely, not selectively for
some arrays but not for others.  The simplest and probably the best way to
do this is to do a histogram of Amean values (obtainable from the output
of lmFit for example), and select a value to subset your ExpressionSet
object on.  The use of detection pvalues or weights does not seem useful
to me.

Filtering low intensity Illumina probes will increase both the consensus
variance values (s2.prior) and the prior degrees of freedom (df.prior)
that you get from eBayes, as well as reducing the amount of multiple
testing.  These have competing effects, so the amount of statistical
significant can increase or decrease depending on the situation.

Best wishes
Gordon