[BioC] Problematic circular design

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Sep 6 20:56:28 CEST 2007

Hi Daniel,
Daniel Brewer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just been handed a project that looks like the experimental
> design has not been ideal and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas
> how I could get something out of it.
>
> Here is the design:
> 3 microarrays
> Array 1: A vs B
> Array 2: B vs C
> Array 3: C vs A
>
> Where A, B, C are different samples.

Back when I was doing two color work, this was considered the height of
good experimental design (the reference design was disparaged because
you were wasting half of your time/effort on samples with no intrinsic
value). Maybe things have changed?

Anyway, the maanova package will certainly handle this sort of analysis.
A pubmed search for Kerr and Churchill will result in lots of hits for
the papers they wrote describing the model they use to fit these data.
The maanova package also has a vignett in which they analyze an
experiment that is sort of similar.

I don't see why you couldn't use limma either. I don't know offhand what
the design matrix would look like (as I mentioned, it's been years since
I did two color stuff), but I am sure there is something in the limma
User's Guide that you could use to figure things out.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald