[BioC] hyperGTest and HyperGParams

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sun Nov 11 00:10:51 CET 2007

Hi,
   Sorry for the delay in responding.

  In a sense, you now always have a package, at least for organisms
where there is a annotation package of the form org.Hs.eg.db, in your
case you have two issues you need to deal with
  1) a map from Ensembl to EntrezGene (since that is the basis for that
package). At some time, during this release cycle Ensembl ids are going
to be added to that package so that you won't even need to do that soon.
  2) you need to decide what your universe is, and that is a problem
typically, since it should reflect the genes you assayed, or could have
detected.  Selecting this has an enormous effect on p-values so you
should exercise some caution.

   params = new("GOHyperGParams", geneIds=myGenes,
              universeGeneIds=myUniverse,
              annotation="org.Hs.eg.db", ontology="BP",
              pvalueCutoff=0.01, conditional=FALSE,
              testDirection="over")

   hgOver = hyperGTest(params)

   which suitable choices for myGenes and myUniverse, should do what you
want.

  best wishes
    Robert

João Fadista wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to know if there is a way to use the hyperGTest function in the Category package if I don´t have an annotation package. I have the ensembl id´s of the genes in my microarray as well as all the GO terms associated with them.
>
> If there is other tool that does the same job without the need of specifying the annotation package I will also be glad the hear about.
>

> Best regards,
> João Fadista

Robert Gentleman, PhD
Program in Computational Biology