[BioC] cannot allocate vector of size 73 kb, in made4

Tue Nov 6 14:34:57 CET 2007

Whenever you get a message like this you have run out of ram. You
cannot really say how much ram you needed, because what happens is
really something like this (pseudocode)

<code starts> RAM usage: x
<allocate> RAM usage x + y:
<dosomething>
<allocate> RAM usage x+y+z
<code ends>

at some point the code tries to allocate a vector and R runs out of
memory. The size you get (73kb in the post) is just the last straw
that breaks the camel's back so to say.

If you are running out of ram there are several possibilites:
1) get more RAM. But this will only help if you use a OS that can
make R use more RAM. Say you are running windows XP and you buy 32 GB
ram. That will not help you, because a single process can only use I
think 2 GB.
2) get more RAM and a 64 bit OS that actually makes it possible to
use the RAM
3) rewrite the code to get around memory limitations

3) will only work for some usages. But in many cases people do not
pay much attention to RAM usage when they program, so sometimes it is
easy to cut the usage down.

I have no experience with cia at all. It could be that your dataset
is imply to big to use this function.

Dual cores does not help you.

Kasper