[BioC] Oneclass SAM analysis

Jianping Jin jjin at email.unc.edu
Fri Jan 5 15:24:43 CET 2007

Hi Elizabeth,

Did you set every measurement equal to 1s (not 1s and 2s)? As I understand
one class analysis tests whether the mean gene expression across all
replicates differs from zero. There is no any group comparison involved. If
you were trying to do groups 1 and 2 comparison you probably need a
"two-class" test.

hope this helps

Jianping

--On Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:22 PM -0600 "Brooke-Powell, Elizabeth"
<etbp2 at borcim.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am wondering if you would be able help me with a problem I seem to be
> experiencing using SAM (v2.20a). I am using it through the Excel add-in,
> but the question I have is not a technical computer or programming
> problem (to my knowledge) but one about the analysis itself.
>
> When I am performing oneclass analysis of ratio data from a microarray
> experiment it seems that the oneclass analysis only likes to have odd
> numbers of data columns where each data column is a list of ratios for one
> slide in an experiment. I can get analysis done for 3,5,7,9,and 11 slides
> of data, but not 2,4,6,8,10 or 12. I am wondering if I am missing
> something about oneclass analysis, but it seems to me that you would want
> a balanced design of an experiment with even numbers of slides.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, I have tried contacting the SAM list which
> is next to useless.
>
> Happy New Year to everyone,
>
> Liz Brooke-Powell
>
> Washington University Medical School,