[BioC] heatmap and hclust results

kfbargad@ehu.es kfbargad at ehu.es
Thu Mar 9 14:54:52 CET 2006

Dear list,

I obtained a dendrogram for a set of d.e genes using hclust() with
the following code:

mygenes.tree<-exprs(mygenes.eset)
r = cor(mygenes.tree, method=”pearson”)
d = 1 - r
hc = hclust(as.dist(r), method=”average”)
plot(hc, labels = sampleNames)

and tried to compare it with a heatmap with the same genes:

heatmap(mygenes.tree, col=rbg, distfun = function(c){1 - Dist(c,method
= "pearson")},hclustfun= function (d) {hclust(d, method=”average”) },
labCol= sampleNames,Colv=cov(mygenes.tree),Rowv=cov(mygenes.tree)))

but the grouping of the samples on both dendrograms is different. Is
it because I am using some parameters that differ between both methods?
I have read the ?heatmap info and am not very sure that I understand
the difference between the arguments Colv and hclustfun and whether
they can be used together. Maybe I am introducing some confronting
arguments without noticing.

Could anyone check my code and help me on this?

I am using R 2.2.0

Thanks in advance,

David