[BioC] Hot to find gene names and descriptions from accession numbers ?

Giulio Di Giovanni perimessaggini at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:14:48 CEST 2006

Hi to all,

I'm dealing with a problem that looked so simple, but I'm able to solve...

I have a list of gb accession numbers:

for example:

"M57423" "Z70218" "L17328" "S81916" "U63332" "M77235"

and I would like to find ( in a repository for ex.) the names as:

[1] "hypothetical protein LOC221823"
[2] "meningioma (disrupted in balanced translocation) 1"
[3] "fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 2 (zygin II)"
[4] "Phosphoglycerate kinase {alternatively spliced}"
[5] "---"
[6] "sodium channel, voltage-gated, type V, alpha polypeptide"

I was looking in annotate package, and I found the way to extract almost
everything, from locuslink to PMID to FASTA sequences, but the Descriptions
(or names)... I've looked in the web and the vignettes of course, but with
no result.

I'm missing something, anyone can help me ?

Thanks in advance,

Giulio