[BioC] Problem compiling hexbin with gcc 4.0.2

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Nov 10 06:05:03 CET 2005

Hi Dave,

On  9 Nov 2005, dnadave at insightful.com wrote:
> No mac, yet.  I'm still on x86 architecture.  The cpu is actually an
> AMD Athlon-XP-M.  I did compile the rest of R, CRAN, and
> Bioconductor (yes, all of it) using gcc 4.0.2.  There were numerous
> warnings on many fortran files, mainly due to typecasting, but so
> far the packages I've used that included the warnings haven't
> behaved badly...
>
> I take it you haven't upgraded to SuSE 10, yet?

We are not testing with gcc 4.x at this time.  Our impression is that,
for our purposes, it isn't ready for prime time yet (you're example is
further evidence).

On OS X it is possible to switch between gcc 4.x and 3.x using a
command called gcc_select.  Perhaps there is something similar w/ SuSE
that would allow you to use gcc 3.x without confusing your entire
system?

So basically, I would recommend not using gcc 4.x (yet).  We certainly
don't want to spend time trying to fix something that in the end is a
compiler bug.

Best,

+ seth