[BioC] hclust vs dendrogram

Stefanie Scheid stefanie.scheid at molgen.mpg.de
Wed Feb 16 17:32:35 CET 2005

Dear all,

I'm wondering why hclust and dendrogram objects lead to different plots:

Let's say "hc" is an hclust object. Now,

> plot(hc)

gives the first tree plot.

Next, I change the feature ordering in hc$order slightly (no overlapping
branches). Now,

> plot(hc)

gives a second plot that looks like intended (actually, I just swapped the
first two subtrees).

But with

> plot(as.dendrogram(hc))

I am back at the first plot (well, at least with the same tree structure,
the format changes of course).

How can I keep the intended ordering when plotting an dendrogram object?

Thanks a lot,
Stefanie.

---

Stefanie Scheid

Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics
Dept. of Computational Molecular Biology
Ihnestraße 63-73
D-14195 Berlin, Germany

phone: +49 (0)30 8413 1178
fax:   +49 (0)30 8413 1176