[BioC] Installing genefilter

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 11 17:35:55 CET 2005

Well, there are a few different issues here.

First of, the first messages indicates that you do not have genefilter
installed. This might be because the download failed (you downloaded an
incomplete file) or because of issues explained below.

The 404 error you get is because right now there the repository is being
moved from Boston to Seattle and everything is not working perfctly yet.
It does not matter because it is the bioconductor mirror of CRAN it
cannot find , and you need access to bioconductor itself.

Ok, so that was the two first issues.

When you install an R package you can either install it as a source
package or as a binary. For most R packages there is not much
difference, because the package itself on contains help files and R
code. limma is on of those packages.

Some packages contain C code, and this code either has to be compiled
(if you do a source installation) or it comes precompiled (you get a
binary). You are doing a source installation of genefilter and it fails
in the C compilation step. You cannot compare with limma because limma
does not contain C code.

In order to fix this problems you have to do one of two things
1) setup your MacOS X so that it can compile C, this entails installing
tools from the developer CD, and you may read something about it in the
R/MacOS X FAQ in the section "Compiling R from sources".
2) download a binary version of the package (easiest).

Now, I am not a Mac user (unfortunately) and I have no idea on hów to
get a binary version using the command line (I would love to get a hint
though). But I know that if you use the Aqua interface, and use the
package manager from the toolbar, you can choose where you get the
packages from. One of the choices is called something like "Mac OSX
binaries".

Kasper

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 02:07:30PM -0600, Monnie McGee wrote:
> Dear Bioc help,
>
> I would like to use the package genefilter  in order to do some
> nonspecific filtering of a microarray expression set (eset).  When I
> typed "library(genefilter)" into R, I received the following error
> message:
>
> Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
>         shared library 'genefilter' not found
> In addition: Warning message:
> Package  'genefilter' contains no R code in: loadNamespace(package,
> c(which.lib.loc, lib.loc))
> Error in library(genefilter) : package/namespace load failed for
> 'genefilter'
>
> I thought that genefilter should have been downloaded by default when I
> downloaded bioconductor with "getBioC()".  But, I tried to download it
> using "install.packages2".  Here's what I did:
>
> if (interactive()){
> z <- repositories
> install.packages2("genefilter",repEntry=
> z)}
>
> I then received the message:
>
> Warning message:
> cannot open: HTTP status was `404 Not Found'
> Note: http://www.bioconductor.org/CRANrepository does not seem to have
> a valid repository, skipping
> Warning message:
> Failed to read replisting at http://www.bioconductor.org/CRANrepository
> in: getReplisting(repURL, repFile, method = method)
>
> But, a few seconds later, the list of repositories appeared.  When it
> did, I typed 1 for "Release 1.5 source repository" and hit return.
>
> Then, I received the following message:
>
> [1] "Attempting to download genefilter from
> http://www.bioconductor.org/repository/release1.5/package/Source"
> [1] "Download complete."
> [1] "Installing genefilter"
> * Installing *source* package 'genefilter' ...
> ** libs
> gcc -no-cpp-precomp -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
>  -I/usr/local/include   -fno-common  -g -O2 -c genedist.c -o genedist.o
> gcc -no-cpp-precomp -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
>  -I/usr/local/include   -fno-common  -g -O2 -c init.c -o init.o
> g77   -fno-common  -g -O2 -c ttest.f -o ttest.o
> gcc -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -o
> genefilter.so genedist.o init.o ttest.o  -L/usr/local/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/3.4.2
> -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/3.4.2/../../.. -lfrtbegin
> -lg2c -lSystem -lcc_dynamic -framework R
> ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib) does not exist
> ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib) does not exist
> ld: warning -L: directory name
> (/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/3.4.2) does not exist
> ld: warning -L: directory name
> (/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/3.4.2/../../..) does not
> exist
> ld: can't locate file for: -lfrtbegin
> make: *** [genefilter.so] Error 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'genefilter'
> [...]

Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen