[BioC] no BioConductor posting guide

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 14 10:56:37 CEST 2005

I agree with most of these points. But in fact I feel that it belongs to
a proper "how to get help with Bioconductor" guide, which I have had
some plans for writing for a while (I do not have time to do it within
say the next month or so). Basically there are so many techniques that
it really requires a small guide.

But perhaps the points below should be included in the posting guide. We
can always revise it, if and when the help-guide gets made by me or
another helpful soul.

Kasper

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:45:17AM +0200, Matthew  Hannah wrote:
> Good idea, couple of minor suggestions.
>
> I'd change 1 or 3 this to something along these lines to stress that all
> packages can be browsed for functions, their definitions and other
> package documentation using the html help. This is useful even if you
> don't know exactly what a function is or to get an overview of what a
> package can do.
>
> Alternatively use help.start() to start the HTML help where you can
> search functions or browse packages for documentation, function listings
> and definitions.
>
> and/or
>
> Read any relevant BioConductor documentations such as the vignettes
> (http://www.bioconductor.org/viglistingindex.html). Other materials can
> be found on the "Documents" section of the main BioConductor webpage or
> by browsing the package listings in the HTML help.
>

> Maybe point 4 to include the link for the bioC archives as it's
> sometimes easier to use this to follow threads or to find something.
> Checked the BioConductor mailing archives
> (http://files.protsuggest.org/cgi-bin/biocond.cgi) or the R-help mailing
> archives (http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/) if your question has
> been asked (and answered) before. The BioConductor mailing archives can
> also be browsed by date, author or thread
> (https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/).
>

> Maybe also mention that the functions traceback() and debug() are useful
> for identifying the source of the problem. This would also help save the
> inevitable 'what does traceback() say' reply.
>

> In the optional stuff I would say that the attachments can be viewed on
> the html archives as sometimes when attachments are included I wonder
> how many BioC users are actually aware they can be viewed.
> 4. The only allowed attachment is PS, PDF, JPG, PNG (?) and mail must be
> less that 40 kb in size. Otherwise your mail will require administrator
> approval before being posted.
>
> 4. The only allowed attachments are PS, PDF, JPG, PNG (?) and mail must
> be less that 40 kb in size. Otherwise your mail will require
> administrator approval before being posted. Be aware that attachments
> are not included in the Bioconductor Digest emails but can be viewed on
> the mailing archives
> (https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/).
>

> Finally, to help Gordon out how about 'if your question regards Limma
> designs, contrasts or statistics then have you checked the latest limma
> users guide' ;-)
>
> HTH,
> Matt
>

> ####
> >Dear Tony,
> >
> >Do you have any comments on the draft of the BioConductor posting guide
> >( http://tinyurl.com/3kswc ).
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Regards, Adai

Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen