[BioC] no BioConductor posting guide

Matthew Hannah Hannah at mpimp-golm.mpg.de
Thu Apr 14 09:45:17 CEST 2005

Good idea, couple of minor suggestions.

I'd change 1 or 3 this to something along these lines to stress that all
packages can be browsed for functions, their definitions and other
package documentation using the html help. This is useful even if you
don't know exactly what a function is or to get an overview of what a
package can do.

Alternatively use help.start() to start the HTML help where you can
search functions or browse packages for documentation, function listings
and definitions.

and/or

Read any relevant BioConductor documentations such as the vignettes
(http://www.bioconductor.org/viglistingindex.html). Other materials can
be found on the "Documents" section of the main BioConductor webpage or
by browsing the package listings in the HTML help.

Maybe point 4 to include the link for the bioC archives as it's
sometimes easier to use this to follow threads or to find something.
Checked the BioConductor mailing archives
(http://files.protsuggest.org/cgi-bin/biocond.cgi) or the R-help mailing
archives (http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/) if your question has
been asked (and answered) before. The BioConductor mailing archives can
also be browsed by date, author or thread
(https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/).

Maybe also mention that the functions traceback() and debug() are useful
for identifying the source of the problem. This would also help save the
inevitable 'what does traceback() say' reply.

In the optional stuff I would say that the attachments can be viewed on
the html archives as sometimes when attachments are included I wonder
how many BioC users are actually aware they can be viewed.
4. The only allowed attachment is PS, PDF, JPG, PNG (?) and mail must be
less that 40 kb in size. Otherwise your mail will require administrator
approval before being posted.

4. The only allowed attachments are PS, PDF, JPG, PNG (?) and mail must
be less that 40 kb in size. Otherwise your mail will require
administrator approval before being posted. Be aware that attachments
are not included in the Bioconductor Digest emails but can be viewed on
the mailing archives
(https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/).

Finally, to help Gordon out how about 'if your question regards Limma
designs, contrasts or statistics then have you checked the latest limma
users guide' ;-)

HTH,
Matt

####