[BioC] Error doing Mas5 calculation with Simpleaffy package

Crispin Miller CMiller at PICR.man.ac.uk
Wed May 26 10:59:06 CEST 2004

Thanks Rudy,
I'll have a look into things and produce an update as soon as I can,
hopefully in the next day or two...
Whilst I'm at it, I'll add the 4302 chips into the QC stuff...

In the meantime, I strongly suggest treating the mas5 calls in
simpleaffy with caution. :-(
Regards,
Crispin

-----Original Message-----
From: Rudy.vanEijsden at GEN.unimaas.nl
[mailto:Rudy.vanEijsden at GEN.unimaas.nl]
Sent: 25 May 2004 15:16
To: Crispin Miller
Cc: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: RE: [BioC] Error doing Mas5 calculation with Simpleaffy package

Hi Crispin,

We have also looked into the C-code (simpleaffy v1.09) and found the
following errors:
(1) On line 547:
According to us the chip is being remapped onto a grid. Hence, if the
number of columns or rows of the affy-chip respectively devided by the
number of columns or rows of the grid does not yield an integer, then
the number of rows/columns to be places in each cell of the grid was
rounded down instead of up. This resulted in memory crashes.

(2) On lines 515 and 602:
According to us the index for the raw and corrected intensities are
wrong as c-code start counting at 0 and not 1, therefore the index needs
to be decreased by 1.

(3) On lines 506 and 507:
According to us all the variable related to "x" and "y" respectively
correspond to columns and rows. Therefore if the affy-chip is not square
these lines are wrong as "nrow" and "ncol" don't respectively correspond
to "y" and "x".

Attached you will find a patch for the "simpleaffy2.c" source file.

After these corrections we have compared the MAS5 expression values of 4
chips resulting from the calculations of the simpleaffy v1.0 and
simpleaffy v1.09. The results were quite comparable, except for 54
values that differed by more than 0.1 units (on log scale) and ranged
from -1.635837 to 1.448547 units.

Greetings,

Rudy van Eijsden.

Maastricht University