[BioC] affylmGUI

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Tue May 11 19:49:23 CEST 2004

Simon,

As we are leading up to a Release version of 1.4, I'll just
explain what needs to be fixed in affylmGUI and check with Jeff
that's it OK to fix these things, rather than rushing in and
changing things...

> We have affylmGUI running on Mac OSX and R2 dev. A couple of things

Great!

> seem not to work. We can save all the plots except for venn diagrams
> Object "limmaDataSetNameText" not found

This bug is easy to fix.  Should be able to insert this patch
for the 1.4 release.  The following line needs to be inserted at
the beginning of the VennDiagramPlot function in affylmGUI's
plot.R :

Try(limmaDataSetNameText <-
  get("limmaDataSetNameText",envir=affylmGUIenvironment))

[Don't get too confused by the Try(...). That's just
affylmGUI's way of diverting error messages to messageBoxes]

> Error in try(expr, TRUE): No loop to break from, jumping to top level

This appears to be an incorrect use of break() in the
HeatDiagramPlot function in affylmGUI's plot.R.  The incorrect
code is :
Try(if (is.na(matchIndex)) break())
[ More code within large if-block ]

It should be:
Try(if (!is.na(matchIndex))
{
  [ More code within large if-block ]
})

> Cannot find package drosgenome1

At the moment, some affylmGUI functions will complain
if there is no annotation package available for your chip.
Usually this is just a harmless but annoying message box, on
which you can click "OK".  You may have to put up with this
annoying behaviour for the 1.4 Release, but there are some
related bugs which you encountered around the same time as this
annoying "warning".

The following lines of code in the HeatDiagramPlot
function in affylmGUI's plot.R will fail if there is
no annotation package, i.e. they are incorrect:
  Try(genelist <-
    cbind(as.matrix(ls(cdfenv)),as.matrix(geneSymbols)))
   Try(heatdiagram(abs(eb$t),fit$coefficients,primary=1,
      critical.primary=primaryCutoff,critical.other=otherCutoff,
      names=substr(geneSymbols,1,20),main=plotTitle))

The first line of code above can be deleted ("genelist" is not
used in PlotHeatDiagram) and replaced with:
Try(if (length(geneSymbols)>0)
  geneLabels <- geneSymbols
else
  geneLabels <- ls(cdfenv))

and the second can be modified by replacing "geneSymbols" by
"geneLabels" :
   Try(heatdiagram(abs(eb$t),fit$coefficients,primary=1,
      critical.primary=primaryCutoff,critical.other=otherCutoff,
      names=substr(geneLabels,1,20),main=plotTitle))

> What P value is used to define significant in the venn diagram?

OK, this probably should become part of a dialog box, but I
don't think it will happen before the 1.4 Release.  The venn
diagram plotting function calls limma's classifyTestsF which
seems to have a default p-value of 0.01 :
library(limma)
?classifyTestsF

You might get more discussion about that by posting with a
different subject-line like "limma classifyTestsF p-value"

Regards,
James

James Wettenhall                                  Tel: (+61 3) 9345 2629
Division of Genetics and Bioinformatics           Fax: (+61 3) 9347 0852
The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute         E-mail: wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
 of Medical Research,                     Mobile: (+61 / 0 ) 438 527 921
1G Royal Parade,
Parkville, Vic 3050, Australia
http://www.wehi.edu.au