[BioC] mean versus linear model?

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Mon Jan 12 18:28:34 MET 2004

I am not quite sure what your model is.  When all of the replicates are at
the same "level" (i.e. all biological or all technical) and come from one
treatment the regression estimate is just the mean.  However, once you have
several treatments, using the ANOVA model allows you to have a pooled
estimate of standard error.  And if you have blocks and different types of
replicates (e.g. arrays and spots), the ANOVA model allows you to properly
account for this in the standard error.

Someone else will need to comment on the Bayesian model used in limma, as I
am not currently using limma analysis.

--Naomi